This is a guest post by the team at garage-shelving.co.uk who set up a garage racking and shelving company in less than 2 years and now are competing with the likes of B&Q and wholesale shelving giants. It’s not a topic that people usually even consider when they are setting up a business but the truth is the home improvement industry is one of the biggest in the world. After the financial industries Home Improvement is probably the best one to go into. Plus who really wants to be associated with the financial industries in 2016 and beyond!
Anyway this is going to be a quick post on how to start a business if you are looking to go into home improvements. As you probably already know Gan-Net knows nothing about this industry but we do know about business and the mix with the team at garage-shelving makes for a great article.
5 Tips to Starting a Home Improvement Business
- Find the Need – Find the need of your client, why are they improving their house or what do they really want from this. No one wakes up one day and suddenly decides they hate their entire house. For example we specilise in garages. The number 1 reason people buy shelving from us is because….. They want to tidy their garage and turn it into something useful that they can either use on a daily basis or use as storage.
- Solve The Need – Once you know what someone wants you can work out a need on how to solve it. For example if we use our business again we know that people want to tidy their garage, so how are they going to do this? Well that’s pretty simple, they want to clean and arrange. What do you need to do this? Of course its racking and shelves for storage. So what is our tagline = “Garage shelving and racking” People know what they want, they find what they want. Everyone is a winner.
- Market to the need – Now you have solved and need you need to get in front of people who are having the need. This in many cases is the most difficult section of all. This is essentially marketing. You can choose 1 of thousands of different marketing techniques from leaflet dropping to SEO. But the old school methods still do work! Just make sure you keep up to date with everything!
- Convert – Convert and up-sell on your products. Think about what else someone will need if they want to buy something from you. So for example an individual buys heavy duty garage shelving from us, our primary upsell from that is boxes, plastic boxes for storing individual items. If you know your storage then you will know people love boxes (strange but true) and anyway we offer them a clear but non-aggressive upsell and they take it 25% of the time!
- Re-Market – Seth Godin’s book called permission marketing is the key to this. He talks about how to re-market to your clients and prospects. Someone is 80% more likely to buy something from you if they have brought something in the past. So ensure you keep the emails and phone numbers of the clients and customers that have purchased from you, so you can contact them in the future with deals or offers that they might convert on! Simple but extremely important.
That’s it! Hope you enjoyed and get started on your business today!